Class A, Grade One, £100,000 Guaranteed. For 4yo+, 2m 5f. Weights: 4yo 10st 13lb; 5yo+ 11st 7lb. Allowances: fillies & mares 7lb. Penalty Values: 1st: £58,000; 2nd: £22,000; 3rd: £11,000; 4th: £5,000; 5th: £2,500; 6th: £1,500
1) NO REFUGE (Andrea & Graham Wylie) Howard Johnson 5-11-07 Graham Lee 17/2
2) RACING DEMON (Mrs T P Radford) Henrietta Knight 5-11-07 Jim Culloty 14/1
3) OUR BEN (Trevor Hemmings) Willie Mullins IRE 6-11-07 Ruby Walsh 33/1
4) POLE STAR (Paul Green) James Fanshawe 7-11-07 Robert Thornton
5) GOLD MEDALLIST (Mrs D L Whately) Philip Hobbs 5-11-07 Richard Johnson 9/2 Jt Fav
6) REVEILLEZ (J P McManus) James Fanshawe 6-11-07 Tony McCoy
7) ROYAL PARADISE (Patrick Delaney Jnr) Tom Foley IRE 5-11-07 Mick Fitzgerald 9/2 Jt Fav
8) BLACK APALACHI (Gerard Burke) Philip Rothwell IRE 6-11-07 John Cullen
9) SNOOPY LOOPY (Vicky Scott, A Butler) Vicky Scott 7-11-07 Christian Williams
10) SECRET PLOY (Mrs A M Carding) Hughie Morrison 5-11-07 Barry Geraghty
11) RED GEORGIE (M P Wareing) Nigel Twiston-Davies 7-11-07 Carl Llewellyn
12) QUEEN ASTRID (Dr R Lambe) Dermot Weld IRE 5-11-00 Paul Carberry
13) INCH PRIDE (David Johnson) Martin Pipe 6-11-00 Timmy Murphy
14) COURT LEADER (Mrs P Duffin) Tom Mullins IRE 7-11-00 Robbie Power
15) OLASO (J P McManus) Jonjo O'Neill 6-11-07 David Casey
16) FORAGER (Joesph Curran) Mick Ryan 6-11-07 Seamus Durack
17) BAGAN (F F Racing Services Partnership III) Charlie Mann 6-11-07 Noel Fehily
18) DARKNESS (Lady Lloyd-Webber) Charles Egerton b1 6-11-07 Jimmy McCarthy
19) ROMAN ARK (Richard Collins) Malcolm Jefferson 7-11-07 Tony Dobbin
20) REGENTS WALK (Mrs D Vaughan) Ben De Haan 7-11-07 Leighton Aspell
20 ran Non-Runner: Stan (Vetís Certificate)
Breeder: Cathal Ryan Breeding: ch g Hernando (FR) - Shamarra (FR) (Zayyani)
Dist: .75, 2.5, sh, nk, nk, 7, 9, nk, nk, 1.25, hd, 1, 8, .75, 7, .75, 2, 2.5, 27
Tote Win: £9.30 Places: £3.10; £3.70; £7.10 Exacta: £102.60
Winning Trainer: Howard Johnson Based: White Lea Farm, Crook, County Durham Born: August 11, 1953, Barnard Castle Date of First Licence: 7th July 1986 Previous occupation: worked for Arthur Stephenson, Roy Johnson Wins (1988/9-2003/04): 14,14,10,21,19,32,32,35,23,27,18,19,13,15, 33, 41 Number of horses in training (1990-2004): 40, 32, 33, 55, 63, 70, 47, 53, 56, 51, 46, 48, 40, 36, 78 Cheltenham Festival wins: (3) National Hunt Challenge Cup Chase (1993 Ushers Island), Letheby & Christopher Supreme Novicesí Hurdle (2005 Arcalis), Royal & SunAlliance Novicesí Hurdle (2005 No Refuge) Other major wins: Lonesome Glory Hurdle (1993 Dance Of Words), Dipper Novicesí Chase (1995 Morceli), Tingle Creek Chase (1998 Direct Route), Charlie Hall Chase (2003 Ballybough Rasher, 2004 Grey Abbey), Scottish National (2004 Grey Abbey), Pillar Property Chase (2005 Grey Abbey), Maghull Novicesí Chase (1995 Morceli, 1998 Direct Route), Red Rum Chase (1997 Down The Fell), Topham Chase (1996 Joe White), Melling Chase (1999 and 2000 Direct Route) Wins This Season: 61 (Second win of The Festival 2005)
Winning Jockey: Graham Lee Born: December 16, 1975 Background: Irish pony-racing circuit, left school at 15 to join handler Noel Meade. Five rides for Meade then joined Dessie McDonogh in County Meath. Ger Lyons then obtained Lee a position with Mary Reveley when he was 17. Began riding out for Bill Haigh, before joining Malcolm Jefferson. He is now stable jockey to Howard Johnson, for whom he rode 35 winners in 2003/4. Number of Wins (1993/94-2003/04): 6; 20; 11; 16; 21; 24; 28; 25; 58; 66; 94 First Winner: Navan, November 7, 1992, Blushing Pearl Cheltenham Festival Wins (2): Letheby & Christopher Supreme Novicesí Hurdle (2005 Arcalis), Royal & SunAlliance Novicesí Hurdle (2005 No Refuge) Big Race Wins: Winter Novicesí Hurdle (2003 Inglis Drever); Leamington Novicesí Hurdle (2004 Inglis Drever); totesport Classic Chase (2004 Southern Star); Prestige Novicesí Hurdle (2004 Royal Rosa); Charlie Hall Chase (2003 Ballybough Rasher; 2004 Grey Abbey); Scottish National (2004 Grey Abbey) John Smithís Grand National (2004 Amberleigh House) Wins This Season: 84 Second win of The Festival 2005
INITIAL WINNING QUOTES RACE ONE - ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE NOVICESí HURDLE
Graham Lee, rider of the winner No Refuge, said: "He is so tough. His heart is in the right place and he really tries his heart out. He had to be strong and he keeps staying on.
"Going down to the third last I was happy enough, but when they kicked he was caught a bit flat footed. But then turning in he was really starting to stay on again."
Winning owner Graham Wylie said: "I thought at the last he had too much to do. I felt at that stage that if he was second that would be good, so to win as he has done was brilliant.
"I was pretty relaxed when Arcalis won yesterday, but today I am shaking a bit. It just gets better and better. I celebrated last night and my head is not OK !"
After this race Cashmans revised their prices about the leading owner at the meeting. Graham Wylie is now second favourite at 7-4 (from 5-1) behind David Johnson, who has eased from 4-5 to 6-4. J P McManus is a 2-1 shot with 50-1 bar.
Race One: Royal & SunAlliance Novicesí Hurdle
SAME AGAIN FOR DURHAM DYNAMOS
Graham Wylie, Howard Johnson and Graham Lee, who kicked off the first day in flying style when Arcalis won the Letheby & Christopher Supreme Novicesí Hurdle, teamed up again to serve up an identical dish with No Refuge in todayís opener, the Royal & SunAlliance Hurdle.
Racing Demon, having attacked on the final bend, looked to have the race in safe keeping when he jumped the last clear, but he drifted right, and Lee galvanized No Refuge who got up close home to win by three parts of a length.
"How tough is he?" asked Lee on dismounting, and Johnson described No Refuge as "a hardly little horse."
The trainer said: "I have bought five horses from trainer Sir Mark Prescott and they have all won. This fellow is a real street-fighter, but he was not a natural when we first popped him over hurdles.
"However, the penny has dropped these past two weeks and he schooled well over one hurdle at home yesterday morning."
As the rain lashed down, Johnson, who has a quality team up in County Durham, is pleased with the rain which will ease the ground to suit his Scottish National winner Grey Abbey, who runs in Fridayís totesport Gold Cup.
Johnson added: "It has been well documented how we have had problems with Grey Abbeyís check ligament on his off-fore, but he is sound now and looks great, so he is travelling down and we will check him over when he arrives at the course.
"He has done plenty of swimming, but I am very much in a no-win situation. I would hate anything to happen to the horse, but he is in terrific fettle and if it keeps on raining he will take a lot of pegging back.
"Whatever happens, the plan is to retire Grey Abbey at the end of the season, and if he wins the Gold Cup that will be out and he will go straight out in the field. Itís a dilemma, and I want to do the best for the horse, but he is very well."
FIRST RACE PLACED QUOTES - ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE NOVICESí HURDLE
NO REFUGE FOR DEMON
Racing Demon, who looked sure to land the Royal & SunAlliance Novicesí Hurdle heading to the last, was caught on the run-in to go down by three-quarters of a length to No Refuge.
"He may have been out in front just a bit too long but I was thrilled with that run," said the secondís trainer Henrietta Knight. "Iíve always thought a lot of him and he is going to be some horse over fences.
"Heís had very few races in his life and we might give him one more outing over hurdles before he goes chasing next season, you canít wrap them all up in cotton wool."
Our Ben also finished well to take third under Ruby Walsh and trainer Willie Mullins is another looking forward to fences next season.
"He pulled too hard and was shuffled back at the third or fourth and had just two behind him. Heís not an easy ride and his three wins have all come on right-handed tracks," said Mullins.
"Iíve always said heís a chaser in the making and he jumped like one today - Iím looking forward to coming back here for the Royal & SunAlliance Chase next year."
ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE NOVICES’ HURDLE FACTS AND FIGURES
1. The Royal & SunAlliance Novices’ Hurdle was introduced to The Festival in 1971 as the Aldsworth Hurdle. Sun Alliance, who merged with Royal Insurance in 1996, took it on in 1974, together with the Sun Alliance Chase, having previously sponsored the Foxhunters' Chase.
2. The Royal & SunAlliance Novices’ Hurdle, along with the new Brit Insurance Novices’ Hurdle, and Royal & SunAlliance Chase are acknowledged as the championship races for the staying novice hurdler and chaser.
3. Only one horse has won both Royal & SunAlliance races. The West Awake took the Hurdle in 1987 and the Chase a year later.
4. The smallest field for the Royal & SunAlliance Novices' Hurdle was 14 in 2000, when there were three non-runners. Previously the lowest number of runners was 15 in 1973, the year of Willie Wumpkins, who later dominated the Coral Golden Hurdle Final at the Festival with three straight wins from 1979-81. The largest field was 29, achieved in 1979, 1984 and 1991. Last year there were 15 runners and the safety limit is 24.
5. The Irish-trained 1994 winner, Danoli, was the subject of a massive gamble and was sent off the 7/4 favourite. The shortest-priced winner was another Irish victor, Mr Kildare at 8/11 in 1978. Favourites have been successful in 12 of the 34 renewals. The longest-priced winner was 40/1 chance Even Dawn in the second running in 1972.
6. Five of the last 15 winners won the Michael Page Novices' Hurdle at Warwick in mid-February (February12 this year) en route to the race. These are Rebel Song (1988), Sayfar's Lad (1989), Thetford Forest (1992), Putty Road (1995) and Monsignor in 2000. The Warwick race was abandoned last season.
7. The Irish have an excellent record in the Royal & SunAlliance Novices’ Hurdle with 12 wins, including six consecutive victories from 1973-78.
8. Aidan O’Brien, Martin Pipe, Oliver Sherwood, Mick O'Toole, Edward O'Grady and Nigel Twiston-Davies have each won two Royal & SunAlliance Novices’ Hurdles. Oliver Sherwood holds a unique position as the only trainer to have won the race as a jockey also, on Venture To Cognac in 1979. His training wins were with The West Awake (1987) and Rebel Song (1988).
9. The fastest time for the winning horse was 4m 52.0s set by Monsignor in 2000, beating the 4m 56.2s of Regal Ambition in 1990.
10. Istabraq (1997) and Hardy Eustace (2003) both won this race en route to victory in the Smurfit Champion Hurdle while Davy Lad (1975) went on to take the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup.
ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE NOVICES' HURDLE
2004-WINNER-FUNDAMENTALIST 6-11-07 Owner-Gripen; Trainer-Nigel Twiston-Davies; Jockey-Carl Llewellyn; SP-12/1
2ND-Inglis Drever 5-11-07 Owner-Andrea & Graham Wylie; Trainer-Howard Johnson; Jockey-Graham Lee; SP-7/4 Fav
3RD-Grey Report 7-11-07 Owner-Anne La Trobe; Trainer-Philip Hobbs; Jockey-Richard Johnson; SP-25/1
15 ran, Time-5m 1.90s, Dist-.5, 4
2003-WINNER-HARDY EUSTACE 5-11-07 Owner-Laurence Byrne; Trainer-Dessie Hughes IRE; Jockey-Kieran Kelly; SP-6/1
2ND-Pizarro 6-11-07 Owner-Edward Wallace; Trainer-Edward O’Grady IRE; Jockey-Norman Williamson; SP-2/1 Fav
3RD-Lord Sam 7-11-07 Owner-Plain Peeps; Trainer-Victor Dartnell; Jockey-Warren Marston; SP-10/1
Coolnagorna, finished 2nd, placed last for causing interference
19 ran, Time-5m 5.70s, Dist (as they passed the post)-1 1/4, 1
2002-WINNER-GALILEO 6-11-07 Owner-Sharon Nelson, Allan Stennett, Terry Warner; Trainer-Tom George; Jockey-Jason Maguire; SP-12/1
2ND-Over The Bar 6-11-07 Owner-J P McManus; Trainer-Edward O’Grady IRE; Jockey-Norman Williamson; SP-14/1
3RD-Lanzerac 5-11-07 Owner-Cleartherm Ltd; Trainer-John Harris; Jockey-Paul Flynn; SP-66/1
27 ran; Time-5m 19.70s, Dist-3 .5, sh; 5/1 Fav Classified (4th)
2001-Cancelled (Foot and Mouth Disease)
2000-WINNER-MONSIGNOR 6-11-07 Owner-Malcolm Denmark; Trainer-Mark Pitman; Jockey-Norman Williamson; SP-5/4 Fav
2ND-No Discount 6-11-06 Owner-Seamus Ross; Trainer-Charlie Swan IRE; Jockey-Charlie Swan; SP-20/1
3RD-Gentle Rivage 6-11-07 Owner-Geoffrey and Donna Keeys; Trainer-Nigel Twiston-Davies; SP-50/1
14 ran, Time-4m 52.0s, Dist-8,5
1999-WINNER-BARTON 6-11-07 Owner-Stan Clarke; Trainer-Tim Easterby; Jockey-Lorcan Wyer,SP-2/1 Fav
2ND-Artadoin Lad 6-11-07 Owner-Jim Shaw; Trainer-Jenny Pitman; Jockey-Mick Fitzgerald; SP-28/1
3RD-Winston Run 7-11-07 Owner-Mr & Mrs John Poynton; Trainer-Ian Williams; Jockey-Glenn Tormey; SP-100/1
18 ran, Time-5m 5.6s, Dist-9, .5
1998-WINNER-FRENCH HOLLY 7-11-07 Owner-Kieran Flood; Trainer-Ferdy Murphy; Jockey-Andrew Thornton; SP-2/1 Fav
2ND-Torboy 8-11-07 Owner-Paul Green; Trainer-Martin Pipe; Jockey-Tony McCoy; SP-8/1
3RD-Cloone Bridge 6-11-07 Owner-Kathleen Gillane; Trainer-Aidan O’Brien IRE; Jockey-Charlie Swan; SP-8/1
18 ran, Time-4m 59.7s, Dist-14, 2.5
1997-WINNER-ISTABRAQ 5-11-07 Owner-J P McManus; Trainer-Aidan O’Brien IRE; Jockey-Charlie Swan; SP-6/5 Fav
2ND-Mighty Moss 6-11-07 Owner-Ken Hutsby; Trainer-David Nicholson; Jockey-Mr Fred Hutsby; SP-11/1
3RD-Daraydan 5-11-07 Owner-David Johnson; Trainer-Martin Pipe; Jockey-Richard Hughes; SP-16/1
17 ran, Time-4m 58.2s, Dist-1, .75
1996-WINNER-URUBANDE 6-11-07 Owner-Martin St Quinton; Trainer-Aidan O’Brien IRE; Jockey-Charlie Swan; SP-8/1
2ND-Go-Informal 5-11-07 Owner-R G Marshall; Trainer-Malcolm Jefferson; Jockey-Mark Dwyer; SP-12/1
3RD-Karshi 6-11-07 Owner-Lord Vestey; Trainer-Henrietta Knight; Jockey-Jason Titley; SP-14/1
24 ran, Time-5m 11.7s, Dist-.75, .75 11/2 Fav Jet Rules (10th)
1995-WINNER-PUTTY ROAD 5-11-07 Owner-Lady Harris; Trainer-David Nicholson; Jockey-Norman Williamson; SP-7/1
2ND-Berude Not To 6-11-07 Owner-G Addiscott; Trainer-Oliver Sherwood; Jockey-Jamie Osborne; SP-3/1
3RD-Treble Bob 5-11-07 Owner-Dr Michael Smurfit; Trainer-Dermot Weld IRE; Jockey-Brendan Sheridan; SP-9/4 Fav
21 ran, Time-5m 20.1s, Dist-hd, 2
1994-WINNER-DANOLI 6-11-07 Owner-Dan O'Neill; Trainer-Tom Foley IRE; Jockey-Charlie Swan; SP-7/4 Fav
2ND-Corrouge 5-11-07 Owner-Michael Gates; Trainer-Nigel Twiston-Davies; Jockey-Carl Llewellyn; SP-10/1
3RD-Brief Gale 7-11-02 Owner-Carrie Zetter; Trainer-Josh Gifford; Jockey-Declan Murphy; SP-8/1
23 ran, Time-5m 10.8s, Dist-2, 5
ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE NOVICES’ HURDLE ROLL OF HONOUR
(Royal & SunAlliance Novices’ Hurdle since 1998, Royal Sun Alliance Novices’ Hurdle 1997,
Sun Alliance Novices’ Hurdle 1974-96, Aldsworth Hurdle 1971-73)
Year Winner Age/Wt Jockey Trainer Owner SP Ran
2004 Fundamentalist 6-11-07 Carl Llewellyn Nigel Twiston-Davies Gripen 12/1 15
2003 Hardy Eustace 6-11-07 Kieran Kelly Dessie Hughes IRE Laurence Byrne 6/1 19
2002 Galileo 6-11-07 Jason Maguire Tom George Sharon Nelson, Allan Stennett, Terry Warner 12/1 27
2001 No Race (Foot and Mouth)
2000 Monsignor 6-11-07 Norman Williamson Mark Pitman Malcolm Denmark 5/4F 14
1999 Barton 6-11-07 Lorcan Wyer Tim Easterby Stan Clarke 2/1F 18
1998 French Holly 7-11-07 Andrew Thornton Ferdy Murphy Kieran Flood 2/1F 18
1997 Istabraq 5-11-07 Charlie Swan Aidan O’Brien IRE J P McManus 6/5F 17
1996 Urubande 6-11-07 Charlie Swan Aidan O’Brien IRE Martin St Quinton 8/1 24
1995 Putty Road 5-11-07 Norman Williamson David Nicholson Lady Harris 7/1 21
1994 Danoli 6-11-07 Charlie Swan Tom Foley IRE Dan O’Neill 7/4F 23
1993 Gaelstrom 6-11-02 Carl Llewellyn Nigel Twiston-Davies Jenny Powell 16/1 19
1992 Thetford Forest 5-11-07 Richard Dunwoody David Nicholson Saeed Manana 7/1 27
1991 Crystal Spirit 4-10-12 Jimmy Frost Ian Balding Paul Mellon 2/1F 29
1990 Regal Ambition 6-11-07 Peter Scudamore Martin Pipe Skeltools Ltd 3/1F 22
1989 Sayfar’s Lad 5-11-07 Mark Perrett Martin Pipe Arthur Whiting 12/1 22
1988 Rebel Song 6-11-07 Simon Sherwood Oliver Sherwood Maggie Heath 14/1 25
1987 The West Awake 6-11-07 Simon Sherwood Oliver Sherwood Maggie Heath 16/1 28
1986 Ten Plus 6-11-07 Kevin Mooney Fulke Walwyn Basil Thwaites 5/2F 28
1985 Asir 5-11-07 Mr Ronnie Beggan Paul Kelleway HH Prince Yazid Saud 9/1 27
1984 Fealty 4-10-12 Seamus O’Neill Peter Brookshaw Peter Brookshaw 33/1 29
1983 Sabin Du Loir 4-10-08 Graham Bradley Michael Dickinson Brian Kilpatrick 16/1 27
1982 Mister Donovan 6-11-08 Tommy Ryan Edward O’Grady IRE J P McManus 9/2 21
1981 Gaye Chance 6-11-08 Sam Morshead Fred Rimell Mrs M Curtis 7/1 21
1980 Drumlargan 6-11-08 Tommy Ryan Edward O’Grady IRE Mary Cuddy 5/2F 27
1979 Venture To Cognac 6-11-08 Mr Oliver Sherwood Fred Winter Nat Sherwood 4/1 29
1978 Mr Kildare 5-11-07 Tommy Carmody Liam Browne IRE Owen Canty 8/11F 20
1977 Counsel Cottage 6-11-08 Sean Treacy Paddy Mullins IRE Lady Elizabeth Byng 6/1 26
1976 Parkhill 5-11-07 Dessie Hughes Mick O’Toole IRE Mrs J McGowan 4/1 21
1975 Davy Lad 5-11-07 Dessie Hughes Mick O’Toole IRE Mrs J McGowan 5/2F 20
1974 Brown Lad 8-11-08 Ron Barry Paddy Osborne IRE J Osborne 2/1F 25
1973 Willie Wumpkins 5-11-06 Pat Colville Adrian Maxwell IRE Jane Pilkington 11/1 15
1972 Even Dawn 5-11-06 Ron Hyett Katie Gaze Katie Gaze 40/1 17
1971 Midsprite 5-11-12 Macer Gifford Tom Jones Mrs Ogden Phipps 7/1 20
THE 2004 ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE NOVICES’ HURDLE RESULT IN DETAIL
Class A, Grade One, £100,000 Guaranteed. For 4yo+, 2m 5f. Weights: 4yo 10st 13lb, 5yo+ 11st 7lb. Allowances: fillies & mares 7lb. Penalty Values: 1st: £58,000; 2nd: £22,000; 3rd: £11,000; 4th: £5,000; 5th: £2,500; 6th: £1,500
1) FUNDAMENTALIST (Gripen) Nigel Twiston-Davies 6-11-07 Carl Llewellyn 12/1
2) INGLIS DREVER (Andrea & Graham Wylie) Howard Johnson 5-11-07 Graham Lee 7/4 Fav
3) GREY REPORT (Anne La Trobe) Philip Hobbs 7-11-07 Richard Johnson 25/1
4) COMPLY OR DIE (David Johnson) Martin Pipe 5-11-07 Timmy Murphy 33/1
5) BIG MOMENT (R Doel, A Black, Dr J Howells & D Broad) Amanda Perrett 6-11-07 Leighton Aspell 11/1
6) SADLERS WINGS (John Brennan) Willie Mullins IRE t6-11-07 Ruby Walsh 9/2
7) TIGHTEN YOUR BELT (The Merseyclyde Partnership) Venetia Williams 7-11-07 Sam Thomas 28/1
8) VERY OPTIMISTIC (Gay Smith) Jonjo O'Neill 6-11-07 Barry Geraghty 9/2
9) CHAMPAGNE HARRY (Gavin MacEchern) Nigel Twiston-Davies 6-11-07 Antony Evans 100/1
10) AMMONIAS (Jim Brown & P Randall) Charlie Mann 5-11-07 Noel Fehily 100/1
11) ROSS RIVER (Seamus Ross) Philip Hobbs 8-11-07 Paul Flynn 25/1
12) KING SOLOMON (Seasons Holidays) Venetia Williams t5-11-07 Tony Dobbin 100/1
13) SINDAPOUR (Mary Burke) Martin Pipe 6-11-07 Tony McCoy 12/1
14) FONTANESI (David Johnson) Martin Pipe 4-10-13 Rodi Greene 200/1
15) YARDBIRD (Gilco) Henrietta Knight 5-11-07 Jim Culloty 100/1
15 ran Non-Runner: Brave Inca (Vet’s Certificate) Going: Good
Breeder: John Fowler Breeding: b g Supreme Leader - Run For Shelter
Distances: .5, 4, nk, 4, nk, 4, 7, 1, 15, 18, 11, 3, 11, dist Time: 5m 1.90s
Tote Win: £10.80 Places: £2.70; £1.50; £5.60 Exacta: £28.10
Winning trainer: NIGEL TWISTON-DAVIES: Based: Grange Hill Farm, Naunton, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire Date of birth: 16/5/57 Date of first licence: 1981/2; Previous occupation: Farmer Wins (1982/3-2002/03):0,0,4,4,1,3,2,8,19,31,76,72,81,74,52,69,65,87,47,35,31 Number of horses in training (1984-2003): n/a,10,n/a,6,n/a,5,13,24,34,40,68,67,81,82,74,98,71,60, 58, 52 Big Race Wins Include: Martell Grand National (1998 Earth Summit, 2002 Bindaree), Scottish Grand National (1992 Captain Dibble, 1994 Earth Summit), Paddy Power Gold Cup (1992 Tipping Tim), Scottish Champion Hdle (1994 Corrouge, 2000 Mister Morose), Rehearsal Chase (1995 Grange Brake), Peter Marsh Chase (1995 Earth Summit), Reynoldstown Novices’ Chase (1995 Sweet Duke, 2000 Beau), Christmas Hurdle (1997 Kerawi), Independent Newspaper Novices’ Chase (1998 Mister Morose), Tote Sandown Hcap Hurdle (2000 Rubhahunish), Welsh Champion Hurdle (2000 Mister Morose), Tanglefoot Elite Hurdle (2000 Mister Morose), Whitbread Gold Cup (2000 Beau), Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup (2000 King’s Road), OPEN TROPHY (2003 Shardam) Cheltenham Festival wins: (7) William Hill NH Chase (1992 Tipping Tim), Royal & SunAlliance Hdle (1993 Gaelstrom, 2004 Fundamentalist), Royal & SunAlliance C (1993 Young Hustler), Letheby & CHristopher Supreme Novices’ Hurdle (1994 Arctic Kinsman), JCB Triumph Hurdle (1998 Upgrade), Pertemps Final H’cap Hurdle (2000 Rubhahunish)
Wnning Jockey: Carl Llewellyn Date of Birth: 29/07/65 Apprenticeship: Served with Jim Old and Stan Mellor. First Winner: 14/03/86, Wolverhampton (Starjestic) Cheltenham Festival Wins: (7) ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE HURDLE (1993 Gaelstrom, 2004 Fundamentalist), WILLIAM HILL CHASE (1992 Tipping Tim), MILDMAY OF FLETE (1988 Smart Tar), LETHEBY & CHRISTOPHER SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE (1994 Arctic Kinsman), JCB TRIUMPH HURDLE (1998 Upgrade), PERTEMPS FINAL H’CAP HURDLE (2000 Rubhahunish) Other Big Race Wins: MARTELL GRAND NATIONAL (1992 Party Politics, 1998 Earth Summit), PADDY POWER GOLD CUP (1992 Tipping Tim), LONG WALK HURDLE (1993 Sweet Duke), REHEARSAL CHASE (1993 Party Politics), GREENALLS GOLD CUP CHASE (1993 Party Politics), TOTE SILVER TROPHY HANDICAP HURDLE (1998 Mister Morose), NOVEMBER NOVICES’ CHASE (1998 Mister Morose), BRISTOL NOVICES’ HURDLE (1998 Bosuns Mate), RISING STARS NOVICES’ CHASE (2000 Bindaree), TANGLEFOOT ELITE HURDLE (2000 Mister Morose), OPEN TROPHY (2003 Shardam) Number of Wins (1988/89-2002/03): 20; 19; 32; 53; 68; 39; 45; 58; 57; 82; 78; 68; 54; 36; 29 Wins This Season: 57
|home | associations | bloodstock agents | bookmakers | links | information | jockeys | portals | racecourses | race horse trainers | sales | studs | syndicates | submit site|
|© racingbetter.co.uk • 91 Tribune Drive • Carlisle • CA3 0LE|